My Cinnamon Roll Waffles with Cream Cheese Icing will satisfy all your cravings. They are rich & filling with sweet cinnamon & creamy icing. This easy recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
It’s been months since I posted a waffle recipe. I’m not a big breakfast person but I love breakfast food. I’m just too sleepy to make up breakfast recipes before noon. I had some cottage cheese that needed to be used up last week so I decided to use that as a base for a waffle. Not too crazy, I’ve seen cottage cheese in pancakes and waffles before. So I just started throwing ingredients into my food processor and this perfect waffle batter is what came out.
I went back and forth in my mind about what flavor to add and cinnamon won out. And what goes better with cinnamon than cream cheese icing? Nothing.
Ingredients for Low Carb Cinnamon Roll Waffles:
Almond Flour – I’ve really come to prefer almond flour in baked goods. It gives a tender crumb in cakes, cookies, and biscuits.
Coconut Flour – Just a little bit of coconut flour goes a long way. Coconut flour helps to balance the oiliness of almond flour since it is naturally drier and absorbs more liquid than other alternative flours.
Ground Golden Flax – Flax has a ton of fiber and the golden variety has a very mild taste. You can use the golden flax or sub in additional almond flour for this ingredient.
Cottage Cheese – cottage cheese is my secret ingredient in low carb waffles. It boosts the protein and nutrition and I promise you can’t taste it at all.
Vanilla – With the price of vanilla being very high the last couple of years I decided to try a Mexican vanilla extract and have been happy with the results. It is much much cheaper than other vanilla extracts.
Baking Powder or Baking Soda – I’ve had readers use both successfully
Sugar-Free Sweetener – I like to use a blend of xylitol, erythritol, and stevia in my recipes. You can purchase this pre-mixed from the Trim Healthy Mama website or mix your own according to my recipe. By using a combination of sugar alcohols and stevia you can use half the amount required of regular sugar. Since these sweeteners can be more expensive this helps with my food budget.
How Many Waffles does this recipe make?
This makes a big batch of waffles. About 4 huge Belgian waffles. I ate one (recipe testing is the best) and was too full to eat dinner.
Do I have to use cottage cheese?
No, if you prefer you can sub in additional cream cheese, ricotta cheese, or mascarpone.
How to Make Cream Cheese Icing
I keep the cream cheese icing for my cinnamon roll waffles simple. All I do is sweetener softened cream cheese with a powdered sweetener. If you like you can add a little softened butter and vanilla but this icing doesn’t need it.
Other Low Carb Waffle Recipes:
Waffle Batter Ingredients:
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese 4% fat works best
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup Trim Healthy Mama Baking Blend or equal parts almond flour, coconut flour, and ground golden flax
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder or soda I've had readers use both successfully
- 1/3 cup Trim Healthy Mama Gentle Sweet or my sweetener
Cinnamon Swirl Ingredients:
- Put the cottage cheese in the food processor and blend until smooth. Add the cream cheese and process until smooth. Add the other ingredients and pulse until they are thoroughly incorporated.
- Stir together the ingredients for the cinnamon swirl.
- Spray your waffle iron with cooking spray. Spoon on the batter and drizzle on some of the cinnamon swirl. Swirl it in gently with a toothpick, knife, or spoon. (I put it in a ziploc and piped a swirl but you really couldn't see it after it was cooked so don't bother).
- Cook until golden brown. Remove carefully. Repeat until all the batter is used up.
- While the waffles are cooking stir together icing ingredients and set aside. Divide the icing between the waffles and serve.