My Cinnamon Roll Waffles with Cream Cheese Icing will satisfy all your cravings. They are rich & filling with sweet cinnamon & creamy icing. This easy recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
It's been months since I posted a waffle recipe. I'm not a big breakfast person but I love breakfast food. I'm just too sleepy to make up breakfast recipes before noon. I had some cottage cheese that needed to be used up last week so I decided to use that as a base for a waffle. Not too crazy, I've seen cottage cheese in pancakes and waffles before. So I just started throwing ingredients into my food processor and this perfect waffle batter is what came out.
I went back and forth in my mind about what flavor to add and cinnamon won out. And what goes better with cinnamon than cream cheese icing? Nothing.
Ingredients for Low Carb Cinnamon Roll Waffles:
Almond Flour - I’ve really come to prefer almond flour in baked goods. It gives a tender crumb in cakes, cookies, and biscuits.
Coconut Flour - Just a little bit of coconut flour goes a long way. Coconut flour helps to balance the oiliness of almond flour since it is naturally drier and absorbs more liquid than other alternative flours.
Eggs - Eggs are necessary as the binder in this recipe.
Cottage Cheese - Cottage cheese is my secret ingredient in low carb waffles. It boosts the protein and nutrition in my easy cinnnamon roll waffles and I promise you can't taste it at all.
Cream Cheese - I use regular full fat cream cheese.
Vanilla - With the price of vanilla being very high the last couple of years I decided to try a Mexican vanilla extract and have been happy with the results. It is much much cheaper than other vanilla extracts.
Baking Powder Or Baking Soda - I've had readers use both successfully
Sugar-Free Sweetener - I like to use a blend of xylitol, erythritol, and stevia in my recipes. You can purchase this pre-mixed from the Trim Healthy Mama website or mix your own according to my recipe. By using a combination of sugar alcohols and stevia you can use half the amount required of regular sugar or 1:1 sweeteners.
How to Make Cinnamon Roll Waffles
I like to make this batter in my food processor but you can make it in blender as well. If you are using a blender make sure to put the liquid ingredients in first, followed by the cottage cheese and cream cheese. One those are blended smooth you can add the dry ingredients.
Step One: Add the batter ingredients to the food processor and process until smooth. Scrape down the sides as needed.
Step Two: Make the cinnamon swirl. Swirl it into the batter. Scoop the batter into a well greased, hot waffle maker. Cook until the waffles are golden brown and firm to the touch. This often takes longer than usual with alternative flours. In my waffle maker the light goes off a few whole minutes before the waffles are actually done.
Expert Tip: Although it looks pretty to swirl the cinnamon on the top the waffles do tend to stick to the waffle maker. I've begun just swirling it in the the main batter and then scooping.
How Many Waffles does this recipe make?
This makes a big family-sized batch of waffles. About 4 huge Belgian waffles or 8 regular sized waffles. I ate one large waffle (recipe testing is the best) and was too full to eat dinner. Since then I normally do make these in my mini dash waffle maker.
Do I Have to Use Cottage Cheese?
No, if you prefer you can sub in additional cream cheese, ricotta cheese, or mascarpone. But, you can't taste the cottage cheese and it is packed with protein. I really do enjoy using it in breads, pancakes, and waffles for this reason.
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting
I keep the cream cheese icing for my cinnamon roll waffles simple. All I do is sweetener softened cream cheese with a powdered sweetener. If you like you can add a little softened butter and vanilla but this icing doesn't need it.
Other Low Carb Waffle Recipes:
Waffle Batter Ingredients:
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese 4% fat works best
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- ⅔ cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder or soda I've had readers use both successfully
- ⅓ cup Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes) or my sweetener
Cinnamon Swirl Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoon Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup powdered erythritol
- Put the cottage cheese in the food processor and blend until smooth. Add the cream cheese and process until smooth. Add the other ingredients and pulse until they are thoroughly incorporated.
- Stir together the ingredients for the cinnamon swirl. Swirl into the batter.
- Spray your waffle iron with cooking spray. Scoop the appropriate amount of batter onto your waffle maker. A general rule of thumb is making a circle of batter about half the diameter of the waffle iron.
- Cook until golden brown. Remove carefully. Repeat until all the batter is used up.
- While the waffles are cooking stir together icing ingredients and set aside. Divide the icing between the waffles and serve.
Originally Published June 21, 2016. Revised and Republished with new photos August 6, 2021.