With tender and buttery crust, sweet pumpkin filling, and spicy cinnamon sprinkle, these Keto Pumpkin Pie Twists will become your new fall tradition! This easy pumpkin pastry recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
These Pumpkin Pie Twists at Deliciously Sprinkled looked so good that I had to come up with a healthy version. It is pumpkin season after all. I just got down my fall decorations from the attic and put pumpkins on the steps leading up to the front porch.
My husband is a big pumpkin fan, and I'm a tiny pumpkin fan. I like pumpkin when it tastes more like cinnamon than pumpkin. I do not like pumpkin pie, but I do like my cousin Theresa's Pumpkin Roll. And I love these Keto Pumpkin Pie Twists. The pumpkin flavor is subtle, which is perfect for me. If you want these to taste more pumpkiny, you can cut back on the cinnamon and other spices.
Keto Pumpkin Pie Twists Ingredients
First up is the dough which is made from mozzarella, cream cheese, egg, almond flour, coconut flour, vanilla, baking powder, and sweetener.
Then the filling is just pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice OR cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg, and sweetener.
And of course, we need a little more sweetener and cinnamon to sprinkle on top.
How To Make Pumpkin Pie Twists
These pumpkin pie twists are so easy to make! With some essential ingredients, you can be enjoying these delicious treats as soon as fall hits the air.
First Step: Begin by heating the oven to 350 degrees F.
Second Step: Prepare the filling by combining the pumpkin, sweetener, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Set aside. Then prepare the cinnamon topping by combining the sweetener and cinnamon ingredients together, then set aside.
Third Step: Melt the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese until it looks like cheese fondue. Place all of the dough ingredients inside of a food processor and process until smooth.
Fourth Step: After the dough is a uniform color, you can get your hands wet and press it into a large rectangle on a piece of parchment paper. Cut the dough and ½. Take the pumpkin filling and spread it on to one half of the dough.
Add the other half of the dough on top of the pumpkin-filled dough. Take a pizza cutter and slice it into eight pieces. You’ll need to pick them up one at a time and twist them and then place them on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.
Then cut each of those pieces in half.
Fifth Step: Spray the keto pumpkin pie twist with a little bit of coconut oil spray, or you can lightly brush a little bit of butter on top of them. Then sprinkle the tops with the cinnamon and sweetener mixture.
You'll notice my twists are very long. After taking photos, I decided to cut them in half to make 16 smaller twists.
Sixth Step: Bake the pumpkin pie twist for 25 to 35 minutes or until they are golden brown.
Keto Pumpkin Twist Variations
While I love everything about these tasty pumpkin pie twist, you can add in some additional flavors if you want to.
- Cream Cheese Icing: If you wanted to, you could add a little bit of cream cheese icing to the tops of the pumpkin pie twist. The recipe that I use to make cream cheese drizzle is combining 2 oz of cream cheese with three tablespoons of trim Healthy Mama gentle sweet or my sweetener and ½ to 2 tablespoons of half and half.
- Chocolate Chips: There’s nothing more delicious than combining something that’s pumpkin-flavored along with some chocolate. Use your favorite sugar-free chocolate chips and add them to the pumpkin pie filling ingredients. Or melt the chocolate chips and drizzle it on top of the finished pumpkin pie twist. Both ways are delicious and would give you an extra-special treat.
- Nuts: If you love nuts, it makes sense to add a few to these keto pumpkin pie twist. Sprinkle in a few crushed pecans, crushed almonds, or walnut pieces. They give the twist a nice crunch and earthy flavor.
- Spices: To add even more flavor and a little bit of color, you can sprinkle on a little more of the spices on top of the pumpkin pie twist. Pumpkin pie spice would be great, or you could add any of your favorite spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, or even some ginger.
How Do You Store Pumpkin Pie Twists?
For best results, store them in an airtight container after they have cooled down all the way. Keep them in the refrigerator to enjoy them chilled, or you can keep them at room temperature for up to three days. They taste great no matter how you store them, but I prefer them to be cool. It’s important to make sure you keep them out of direct sunlight, away from steam, and away from heat. They will become soggy if they’re exposed to those things.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix together the pumpkin filling ingredients. Set aside. Combine the cinnamon topping ingredients. Set aside.
- Put the cheeses in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for one minute. Stir. Microwave 30 seconds and stir. At this point, all the cheese should be melted. Microwave 30 more seconds until uniform and gloopy (it should look like cheese fondue at this point). Alternatively, you can melt the cheese over low heat on your stove.
- Add the rest of the dough ingredients and the cheese to a food processor. Process until a uniform color. If you do not have a food processor you can mix in a medium bowl with a wooden spoon but you may need to dump it onto wax paper and knead it by hand to thoroughly incorporate the ingredients.
- Once the dough is a uniform color wet your hands and press it into a large rectangle on a piece of parchment paper. Cut it in half. Spread the pumpkin filling on one half of the dough. Top with the other half. Using a pizza cutter slice the dough into 8 strips and then slice those in half. Pick them up one at a time and twist them twice putting them down on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Spray with coconut oil spray or brush with a little butter and then sprinkle the cinnamon sweetener on top.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes until golden brown.
Looking For More Pumpkin Treats? Check these out:
Originally Published September 23, 2016. Revised and Republished October 13, 2020.