Ooey gooey cheese stuffed meatloaf is what your taste buds dream about at night. Every bite is filled with an explosion of Italian flavors, cheese, and pepperoni. How could the combination of pizza and meatloaf not be delectable? This easy recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
When you cut into this mozzarella stuffed meatloaf, you won’t be able to control your drooling. The aroma of it cooking, the look of it and the taste will give you a new favorite dinner idea. I grew up eating pizza, and now my kids get to enjoy it too. Only, my pizza meatloaf is WAY healthier than what I ate as a kid.
What Is Stuffed Meatloaf
Stuffed pizza meatloaf is a traditional meatloaf, but in the center, there are different ingredients. Many meatloaf recipes are filled with cheese, bacon, spinach, ham, or pretty much anything else you can think of.
How To Make Stuffed Meatloaf with Cheese & Pepperoni
Step 1: Begin by seasoning the meat.
Step 2: Place ⅓ of the meat mixture on the bottom of the baking pan.
Step 3: Place a layer of pepperoni and mozzarella over the meat. Then put another layer of pepperoni to cover the cheese completely.
Step 4: Add the rest of the meatloaf on top of the cheese and pepperoni mixture. Make sure no cheese is showing.
Step 5: Top with a few extra pieces of pepperoni then bake.
Step 6: Let the cheesy meatloaf rest for at least 20 minutes after baking. This will prevent losing all the cheese when you cut into it.
Why Do You Put Egg In Meatloaf?
Eggs are an essential ingredient when it comes to meatloaf. First of all, they allow the meat and ingredients to bind together, so it doesn’t just fall apart as it bakes. Secondly, the egg yolks have some fat and protein in them. This causes the texture and flavor of the meatloaf to be moist and rich.
Stuffed Meatloaf Variations
Sometimes it’s fun to play with your food! No, I don’t mean literally play with it, but play with the flavors! You will be surprised by what you can come up with by adding in some extra seasonings or ingredients here and there. Try some of these ideas:
- Onions - If you love onions, it makes sense to dice up a few and toss them into the pizza meatloaf.
- Peppers - Bell peppers are a traditional ingredient to many meatloaf recipes. Plus, bell peppers are a staple when it comes to pizza!
- Bacon - Seriously, everything tastes better with a little bit of bacon. I recommend adding some cooked, crumbled bacon to the meatloaf mixture.
- Mozzarella - Yes, I know there is mozzarella in the center, but you can sprinkle a little bit on top too. Don’t sprinkle any on until it’s about 5 minutes from being done. You only want it to melt; otherwise, it might burn.
How Can You Tell If Meatloaf Is Done?
The easiest and most efficient way to tell if meatloaf is done is by inserting a meat thermometer into the thickest part. It needs to read at least 165 degrees F. You don’t want to overcook it, or it will be very dry and lose flavor.
Can Meatloaf Be Pink In The Middle?
Yes, don’t worry if there is a little bit of pink in the center of the stuffed meatloaf. As long as it is reading the proper temperature on a thermometer, then it’s okay to eat. Many people will cook their meatloaf way too long hoping the center will brown up and it never does, or it takes forever. Trust me when I tell you if you wait for it always to have a brown center it’s going to be very dry.
Should Meatloaf Be Cooked Covered Or Uncovered?
When baking this cheesy meatloaf recipe, you should cook it uncovered. Leaving it uncovered will allow it to bake more evenly.
How Do You Store Leftover Stuffed Meatloaf with Cheese?
Always store any leftover pepperoni pizza meatloaf in an airtight container. The cheesy meatloaf will last around 3-4 days in the fridge. This makes it perfect if you are a meal planner because you can make it up early in the week and munch on it for days.
Can You Freeze Meatloaf?
Yes, absolutely you can freeze meatloaf. You can freeze meatloaf uncooked or cooked depending on what your goal is. If it’s cooked, I like to cut it into individual servings and wrap each one with tin foil. Then place the pieces into a freezer bag. You can also freeze the entire loaf (cooked or uncooked) by placing wrapping it with foil and placing in an airtight container or bag.
To thaw, simply place in the fridge the night before. Heat it up in the oven once it’s thawed. If it hasn’t been cooked yet, just follow my instructions. If you are reheating it, bake for 10-15 minutes until it’s hot all the way through. You can also microwave it for 1-2 minutes at a time until it’s hot.
If you can’t get enough of this Cheese Filled Meatloaf Recipe, you should try some of these pizza recipes too.
- Grilled Pizza Dough With Mozzarella And Arugula - Perfect for family night!
- Chicken Alfredo Pizza - This is heavenly!
- Keto Pizza Casserole - Talk about an easy weeknight dinner idea. Yum!
- Pizza In A Skillet - Who knew you could make pizza in a skillet? It’s positively amazing!
Not in the mood for pizza? No problem, check out my other main dish ideas.
- 2.5 - 3 lb ground turkey
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp each: dried garlic powder onion powder, minced garlic, minced onion
- 2 tsp each: dried basil parsley, oregano, salt
- 16 oz mozzarella cheese cut in half lengthwise to make two approx. 2 x 2 x 6 in pieces
- 5 oz pepperoni slices
- pasta sauce to serve
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine the ground turkey with the eggs and spices. Put ⅓ of it on a baking pan and make an 7 x 10 inch rectangle. Put a layer of pepperoni in the middle. Put the mozzarella on top of the pepperoni. Cover the sides and top of the mozzarella with more pepperoni. Use the rest of the ground turkey to encase the cheese and pepperoni. Put the remaining pepperoni on the outside of the meatloaf.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the meat is 160 on a meat thermometer.
Originally Published November 24, 2016. Revised and Republished September 13, 2019.
Get the Joy Filled Eats Keto eBook Bundle!
Over 100 easy recipes w/photos & nutrition info.