Low carb grilled pizza dough topped with a creamy herb sauce, baby arugula, tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and a balsamic reduction? Summer perfection.
Grilled Pizza Dough Recipe with Mozzarella & Arugula – Low Carb Keto Gluten-Free Grain-Free THM S
Fresh Mozzarella is one of my favorite varieties of cheese. It has a subtle flavor and creamy texture and compliments so many other flavors. I’ve been craving pizza and it is way too hot to turn on the oven in NJ in the summer. I’ve been playing around with ideas about grilling low carb pizza dough and knew that this grilled pizza dough recipe would go perfectly with fresh mozzarella.
The chives from my garden and the tomatoes and arugula were from the farmer’s market. I can’t wait until my garden tomatoes are ripe!
How to Make Low Carb Grilled Pizza Dough
The trick to grilling fathead dough is to start it out on a cookie sheet. It is too soft to place directly on the grill. Once it cooks a but then you can flip it right onto the grates.
I start my pizza on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Once the dough sets I turn it over onto the grates and peel off the parchment.
At this point, you can top with cheese if you want it to melt. I wanted my toppings at room temperature for this grilled pizza.
This grilled pizza dough recipe was so good my husband ate more than half it for dinner (that was about 12 oz of cheese in his belly). I had a few pieces and then had the rest for lunch the next day. It was just as good cold from the fridge. I plan on serving it as an appetizer at our next party. I got 12 generous pieces out of one grilled pizza. Perfect for an appetizer or side.
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella sliced into about 12 pieces
- 2 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 tsp roasted garlic powder or regular garlic powder
- 1 tbsp fresh herbs chopped (I used chives but you could also use basil, oregano, or thyme)
- 1 big handful baby arugula about 2 oz
- 1 large tomato sliced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar reduced to 1 tbsp - see instructions
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp roasted or regular garlic powder
- Preheat grill to medium-low.
- Put mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave one minute. Stir. Microwave 30 seconds. Stir. At this point all the cheese should be melted. Microwave 30 more seconds until uniform and gloopy (it should look like cheese fondue at this point if it doesn’t keep microwaving in 30-second increments). Mix in the egg and baking mix. You will need to dump it onto wax paper and knead it by hand to thoroughly incorporate the ingredients or you can do this in a food processor with the dough blade.
- Line an old cookie sheet (make sure it will fit on your grill) with parchment paper. Dump the dough onto the parchment. Press or roll into a large oval on the parchment paper using wet hands or a wet rolling pin.
- Put the cookie sheet on the grates. Grill for about 5-10 minutes until the dough has firmed up. The heat of grills varies a lot so it’s best to keep peeking at it every few minutes.
- Once the dough has firmed up and the edges are golden remove the baking sheet from the grill. Wear oven mitts, it is very hot. Flip the dough upside down right on the grates and peel off the parchment. If you want your toppings hot put them on now. Grill for an additional 5 minutes until the dough is fully cooked.
- To reduce the balsamic vinegar simmer it in a small saucepan for 5-10 minutes until reduced by 3/4.
- Stir together the cream cheese and herbs. Spread over the grilled pizza crust. Top with baby arugula, then the tomatoes, then the fresh mozzarella. Drizzle the balsamic reduction over the top.
Originally Published on June 20, 2016. Revised and Republished on July 7, 2019.