Cranberry Cupcakes really are blissful. Tender yellow cake filled with cranberry sauce and topped with cream cheese icing. This easy recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
I love having cranberry sauce in the fridge. I use it for so much more than just a condiment on turkey. Last week I used it in Baked Brie. When I was asked to bring a dessert to an Octoberfest party we were going to today I wanted to make something with cranberries. They just scream “fall” to me.
I made my own version of the famous Starbucks Cranberry Bliss Bars last winter but I had a hunch the same flavors would be great in a cupcake. I love putting a surprise filling in cupcakes and watching when people bite into them. It’s fun to cut them open to see the beautiful color inside as well.
Gluten-Free Cranberry Cupcakes
These were a hit at our party today. There are several people who need to be gluten-free for various reasons so I’m always happy to be able to bring a dessert they can enjoy. I didn’t even eat one of these there because I ate one and some extra icing after the photoshoot. I needed to taste test them before I could bring them to a party.
When my husband and I were in Quebec City in July I was thrilled to find juice sweetened dried cranberries at a farmer’s market. They are really hard to find and it’s almost impossible to find unsweetened ones. I don’t mind using a few juice sweetened dried cranberries as a garnish on these cupcakes but that is optional.
Ingredients for the Cranberry Cupcakes:
Almond Flour – I’ve really come to prefer almond flour in baked goods. It gives a tender crumb in cakes, cookies, and biscuits.
Coconut Flour – Just a little bit of coconut flour goes a long way. Coconut flour helps to balance the oiliness of almond flour since it is naturally drier and absorbs more liquid than other alternative flours.
Ground Golden Flax – Flax has a ton of fiber and the golden variety has a very mild taste. You can use the golden flax or sub in additional almond flour for this ingredient.
Sugar-Free Sweetener – I like to use a blend of xylitol, erythritol, and stevia in my recipes. You can purchase this pre-mixed from the Trim Healthy Mama website or mix your own according to my recipe. By using a combination of sugar alcohols and stevia you can use half the amount required of regular sugar. Since these sweeteners can be more expensive this helps with my food budget.4 eggs
Cream Cheese Icing Ingredients:
sugar-free sweetener, finely ground
half and half
pinch of ginger
sugar free or juice sweetened dried cranberries, finely chopped, optional ***
*** you can make your own sugar free dried cranberries with this recipe from All Day I Dream About Food
- 1/2 cup sugar free cranberry sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar free or juice sweetened dried cranberries finely chopped, optional
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a standard muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
- Put all the ingredients for the cupcakes in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Or process in a food processor until smooth. Divide between the prepared muffin pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly pressed with your finger. Cool completely.
- To make the icing beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add the other ingredients and mix until fluffy.
- To assemble the cupcakes scoop out a tiny bit of the center of each. Divide the cranberry sauce between them. Pipe on the icing. Sprinkle on a few dried cranberries, if using.
FREE Mug Cake Cheat Sheet!
Six delicious low carb mug cake recipes on one printable page to keep on the fridge!