Rich, creamy, and satisfying, this creamy Keto Mushroom Sauce recipe is a must-have! Its incredible flavors are the perfect combination, and it will liven up any meal. You only need 10 simple ingredients to make this classy and sophisticated sauce. It's not only keto-friendly, but it is also low carb, gluten-free, and grain-free.
I realize that there are two kinds of people, those that adore mushrooms and those who can't stand them! I happen to love the earthy flavor and texture of mushrooms, so if you agree with me, I know you will appreciate this dish.
While I will go into details shortly, one of the reasons why I am such a fan of this keto mushroom sauce is it's incredibly versatile. It goes with so many other dishes and can be served with a fancy dinner or a low-key evening at home. It is one of my favorite low carb sauces ever.
Time to get excited! You most likely have most of the ingredients in your kitchen to make this low carb mushroom sauce, so many even be able to avoid heading to the grocery store.
- Butter - The melted butter is the perfect element to give the mushrooms a rich flavor. I don't recommend skipping the butter because it makes a huge difference in the end result.
- Olive Oil - Paired with the butter, you will get good and healthy fats, and it just plain tastes good too.
- Onion - Besides adding flavor, onions are great to add to the dish because they are a great source of vitamin C, potassium, vitamin B6, and folate.
- Garlic - I enjoy adding 2 cloves of garlic, but you can adjust that amount if you wish. It's a good way to get a boost of iron, copper, vitamin B, and manganese!
- Baby Bella Mushrooms - The key ingredient in keto mushroom sauce is naturally the mushrooms. They are the star of the show for a good reason...because they are delicious.
- Beef Broth - While I prefer beef broth because it brings out the flavor of the mushrooms in the sauce, you could swap it for vegetable broth if you want.
- Cream Cheese & Heavy Cream - You can't get much better than combining these two super creamy ingredients. They will give you the ultimate results every time.
- Salt & Pepper - Naturally, a dash of salt and pepper can make a boring dish and transform it into something amazing. So don't skip adding it in because it makes a huge difference.
- Xanthan Gum - To thicken the sauce, my go-to is the xanthan gum.
A couple more options are to add a dash of Worcestershire sauce for some zing and chopped fresh parsley for color.
How To Make Keto Mushroom Sauce
Step One: Start off by melting the butter with the olive oil in a large skillet using medium heat.
Step Two: Once hot, add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook until softened. Then add the sliced mushrooms and continue cooking until they become tender. Remove the mushroom mixture from the skillet and set it aside.
Step Three: Pour in the broth and add the cream cheese. Whisk until the cream cheese has melted, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour in the heavy cream and stir until smooth and creamy.
Step Four: Add half of the mushroom mixture back into the skillet—puree using an immersion blender until it's smooth. Sprinkle the xanthan gum on top and whisk until it's smooth. Add the rest of the mushrooms on top and serve the keto creamy mushroom sauce hot. Enjoy!
Ways to Serve Mushroom Sauce
There are lots of low carb recipes and foods that go well with this low carb sauce. Here are some of our favorites:
- Chicken - Add some keto mushroom gravy on top of juicy chicken! My instant pot chicken tenders are fantastic with it!
- Pork Chops - Brown some pork chops in an ovenproof skillet and then top with creamy mushroom sauce and finish in the oven.
- Steak - In the mood for a hearty steak? Smother it with this easy keto mushroom sauce to add some extra pizzazz to your dinner.
- Veggies - Want to add extra flavor to your roasted veggies? No problem, drizzle with some mushroom sauce and devour.
- Mashed Cauliflower - Keto cauliflower mash is always a hit with some next-level sauce like this recipe.
These are just a few ideas, so go wild and try it with your favorite dishes. Be sure to let us know what you like so we can try it too.
How Do You Store Keto Mushroom Sauce?
After the sauce has cooled down all the way, you'll need to refrigerate it in a sealed container. It will last 3-4 days and can be reheated in the microwave or in a saucepan with low-medium heat.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened. Next, add the mushrooms and cook until tender. Remove the cooked vegetables from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the broth and cream cheese to the skillet. Whisk until the cream cheese has melted. Add the cream, salt, and pepper. Stir until smooth.
- Add half of the mushroom back to the pan and puree with an immersion blender until smooth. Sprinkle the xanthan gum on top of the sauce and whisk until smooth. Add the remaining mushrooms back to the sauce and serve.