Keto Sausage Balls are hearty and delicious. You can throw together a batch with just 5 ingredients and 30 minutes. Feel good about eating these heavenly cream cheese sausage balls because they are also low carb, gluten-free, and grain-free.
There are many things I enjoy about these easy sausage balls, but the biggest thing is that you can make them for any reason.
In the mood for a low carb snacks? Make sausage balls!
Want a classy appetizer? Sausage cheese balls are the answer!
Need a last-minute dish? Take these easy sausage balls to the party!
There isn’t a wrong time to make the keto sausage balls, and once you take that first bite, you will get why they are so addictive. Honestly, if you even have leftovers, I will be surprised. My family pretty much devours every single crumb!
What You’ll Need
- Ground sausage - I use Italian pork sausage but chicken or turkey sausage both work well in this sausage ball recipe.
- Shredded cheddar cheese - I use mild cheddar in this recipe.
- Cream cheese - make sure it is room temperature so it mixes in easily.
- Coconut flour - this is my secret ingredient to perfect low carb sausage balls.
- Egg - helps to hold the sausage balls together.
- Salt - you only need a small amount since sausage is already seasoned and cheese can be salty.
Do I Need To Use Coconut Flour?
Yes, using coconut flour allows the keto sausage balls to be fluffy and have a light and delicious flavor. I love the texture that using coconut flour provides. I promise that you cannot taste the coconut flour at all. Almond flour doesn't absorb liquid the way coconut flour does so I don't recommend subbing it in this. However, if you have a coconut allergy go ahead and use almond flour.
The most popular recipes for sausage balls use Bisquick. Not a low carb ingredient at all. But it is easy to make gluten free sausage balls without Bisquick. To make my sausage balls low carb I use coconut flour and an egg to help absorb the liquid the sausage gives off when cooking.
How To Make Keto Sausage Balls
I think you will be surprised when you see how easy this low carb appetizer sausage balls recipe really is.
Step One: Mix the sausage, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, coconut flour, egg, and salt together.
Step Two: Use a cookie scoop or your hands to form them into evenly shaped balls.
Step Three: Bake the sausage balls at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
Alternatively, you can make these in an air fryer at 375 for 8 minutes. Make sure they are in a single layer and not touching. You may need to cook in batches.
Keto Sausage Balls Tips
- Add some parchment paper or a silicone mat to the baking sheet to prevent them from sticking to the pan. Cleanup is a breeze this way! I use parchment in many of my low carb recipes to save on washing dishes.
- Keep the sausage balls the same size, so they are able to cook more evenly. Otherwise, you may have some that get done way before the others.
- To make them taste even better, try shredding your own cheese. It’s fast and really enhances the way it tastes. Plus, it helps keep the ingredients bind together easier.
- Never bake the keto sausage balls too long. They become dry and more rubbery if they cook too long.
Sausage Balls Variations
I love everything about these easy keto sausage balls the way they are, but if you are in the mood to add extra ingredients, that’s more than fine. Here are some keto recipes to consider trying:
- Pepper Jack Cheese - If you are in the mood for a little bit of spice, swap out the cheddar for shredded Pepper Jack. A little bit of spice is so good.
- Jalapenos - Add in some chopped jalapenos. I recommend only adding ¼ cup or so because you don’t want to add too much or they won’t stick together properly.
- Green Onions - Toss some diced green onions into the mixture before cooking. Yum!
What Sauce Do I Serve With Sausage Balls?
Well, you can totally eat them without any kind of sauce if you want. The way they taste allows them to be dipped in a variety of sauce and taste great.
Ranch dressing, spicy mustard, or sugar-free ketchup are all great options. You can also dip them in some sour cream. We typically eat them plain, but if you are serving them to other people, it’s nice to have a variety of sauces available.
How Do You Store Leftovers?
After the keto sausage balls have cooled down, put them in a container with a tightfitting lid. They will last in the fridge for 3-4 days and can be reheated in the microwave.
Additionally, you can freeze the sausage balls too. This will make them last longer and are wonderful for meal planning. Flash freeze them, then put them in a freezer bag. Always label the container, so you remember what’s in there. 😉 They make an easy breakfast or lunch!
- Preheat the oven o 400. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all the ingredients and form into 30 balls.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked through.