Cucumber tomato salad is a 10-minute side dish that is refreshing, light, and delicious. Whip this up to pair with lunch or dinner or to bring to your next summer cookout.
This is a summer favorite of ours. A summer salad that is ready in under 10 minutes, refreshing, and flavorful. The lemon and dill blend together wonderfully in this creamy dressing.
Homemade Lemon Dill Dressing
This homemade lemon dill dressing is so easy to make and truly elevates the flavor of this recipe. My lemon dill dressing is also excellent on a green salad or you can even use it to dip fresh cut up vegetables for dipping.
Cucumber Tomato Salad
Every year I plant a vegetable garden, and I always plant too many tomato plants. The funny thing was this year I bought less so I’d have room in the garden for more of a variety.
But my husband and my mom each bought me a few plants too. I have a dozen tomato plants. We will be eating tomato salad a lot. My husband loves his mom’s tomato salad, which is tomatoes: raw onions, Italian seasoning, salt, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil.
Variations To Cucumber Tomato Salad
I like adding the cucumbers and using a creamy dressing in mine. Sometimes I’ll throw in some kalamata olives for a Greek taste. You could also chop up some red onion and toss into the salad if you would like.
Tips On How To Pick Cucumbers
- Firm cucumbers are what you are going to look for. Gently grip the cucumber and give a light squeeze. You want it to be firmer, and if there is a soft texture, it means the cucumber is beginning to go bad.
- Color of the cucumber is another indicator. Look for a dark green colored cucumber all over. If you see yellow spots, it means the cucumber has over-ripened and could taste off in flavor.
This method for picking cucumbers works for store bought or even fresh from the garden.
How To Make Cucumber Tomato Salad
Start by slicing up your cucumbers. If you want, peel them first or if you enjoy that chewy texture leave the peels on. Then add in your tomatoes and the homemade dill dressing along with your Feta cheese. Stir and serve or keep chilled.
How Do You Make Lemon Dill Dressing
In a food processor or blender, you will want to add in your dill, lemon juice, Greek yogurt, mayo, milk, and seasonings. Blend until nice and smooth and then serve over a salad.
If you are making the dressing for the cucumber tomato salad, leave out the almond milk. The milk thins this out a lot.
Can I Double This Cucumber Salad Recipe
Yes, you can double or even triple this recipe. Just follow the instructions and grab a large bowl and whip it up. The best part of all is this salad tastes great for serving up a crowd or just a few family members.
Can I Make Cucumber Tomato Salad Ahead of Time
Yes, you are welcome to make this salad the night before you plan to serve it. Just keep it stored in the fridge until you are ready to serve your guests. Then give a good stir and serve.
How Long Does Tomato Cucumber Salad Last
You can keep this salad stored in the fridge for 4-6 days. As the days pass, it will break down more and become softer, so it is best to be eaten sooner than later.
Slicing Cucumbers Easily
I suggest investing in a mandoline. This is going to allow you to slice your cucumbers fast and they will all be similar in size! I love how thin or thick you can make your cuts with a twist of the handle.
What Are The Best Cucumbers To Use For This Salad
Depending on where you live will depend on the varieties your stores offer. I reach for an English Cucumber a lot or even the regular wax cucumbers. Sometimes we will find Persian cucumbers, but they don't carry them all the time. If you use a waxy cucumber, you might enjoy the salad better if you peel them first.
Give this fresh tomato and cucumber salad a try this week. I think you will enjoy the crisp and light flavors. A low carb side dish that will add flavor and color to your dinner plates.
Looking for More Tasty Side Dish Recipes
- Southwest Cauliflower Salad | This cauli-salad is so easy to make and bursting with South of the Border flavor. An excellent variation for summer cookouts or even weeknight meals.
- Cucumber Avocado Salad | If you are looking for another way to use up cucumbers, try this recipe. Fresh, light and so tasty to pair next to any main dish or eat as a snack alone.
- Garlic Parmesan Zucchini | This recipe right here is delicious. I also use this with fresh produce from the garden, and it makes an excellent snack as well.
Have you ever made a fresh cucumber tomato salad before?
- 2 tablespoon fresh dill
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ⅔ cup mayo
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup almond milk omit for tomato cucumber salad, add for a pourable dressing for green salads
Salad Ingredients (serves 4-6, feel free to double or triple):
- 2 cucumbers peeled, halved, and sliced
- 2 tomatoes chopped (gently squeeze out some of the juice and seeds)
- ½ cup Lemon Dill Dressing
- ½ cup feta cheese
- Dressing Instructions: Combine all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Salad Instructions: Gently toss all the ingredients together right before serving.
Like what you see? Follow me on Facebook! Love this recipe? Leave a comment & 5-star rating right here! Make sure you don’t miss new recipes by getting email updates!
Originally Published on June 17, 2016. Revised and Republished on May 28, 2019.
Terri Timmons says
I want your husband's moms recipe 😍...that is the one my husband wants me to make and I can't find a recipe that seems right😒...
She doesn't really use a recipe. Just chop a bunch of tomatoes and onions, drizzle with olive oil, add Italian seasoning and a little salt.
Delicious! I've added also some piece of tuna, oh it was an incredible salad
Just made this for lunch and at with my BBQ leftovers - it was incredible and super easy!
So delicious and refreshing! This will be my lunch for most of the summer!