Sweet cream and dark coffee ice creams swirled together with a coffee scented caramel sauce. This Sweet Cream Coffee Caramel Ice Cream is absolutely irresistible. This easy ice cream recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
My sweet husband brought home no less than 5 pints of Haagen Dazs ice cream a few weeks ago. He got one for each kid and one for us. I was like, “uhhh… thanks honey….”
I wasn’t planning on eating any of it since it is definitely not on plan for Trim Healthy Mama. But after a long day, I decided to just ‘try’ the Sweet Cream Coffee Caramel. The night I only had a few bites. But then the next night I had a few more. And before I knew it the pint was gone.
Which is why I don’t buy ice cream when I’m the one who goes grocery shopping. I know my weaknesses and limitations. Certain junk food can be in the house without tempting me. But pints of high-quality ice cream in favorite flavors? Nope.
I just had to make a healthier version of that sweet cream and coffee caramel ice cream. The sweet cream base was easy, it’s just my vanilla ice cream but without the vanilla. The coffee part was a little trickier because I wanted to be able to make coffee ice cream from the sweet cream ice cream without needing to refreeze the ice cream machine bowl. Adding in a paste made from instant coffee did the trick!
My favorite part of this ice cream is that the caramel stays soft and chewy even after a few days in the freezer. I was afraid it would harden like a praline or toffee but nope. Soft and chewy. It’s tempting to just dig all the caramel out and eat it plain. The caramel does crystallize a little bit. That is just the nature of sugar alcohols and I don’t know of any way around it. It didn’t bother me or stop us from eating all the coffee caramel ice cream.
Sweet Cream Coffee Caramel Ice Cream Necessities:
Caramel Sauce Ingredients: butter, heavy cream, sweetener, salt, instant coffee
Ice Cream Base Ingredients: heavy cream, unsweetened almond milk, sweetener, egg yolks***, glycerin (*** If you are concerned about using raw egg yolks you can purchase pasteurized eggs or you can temper the ice cream base.)
Coffee Paste Ingredients: instant coffee, water
What ice cream machine should I buy?
I have an old faithful Cuisinart Ice Cream Machine that has been faithful for over 10 years. It is worth the investment to be able to control the ingredients in your ice cream and be able to whip up any flavor you can imagine!
How to Make Sweet Cream Coffee Caramel Ice Cream
First, you will be making the caramel. Next, put the ingredients for the ice cream base in a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into an ice cream machine and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Meanwhile, make the coffee paste. When the ice cream looks done spoon half of it into the pan you will freeze it in. I used two loaf pans. Put in the freezer. Add the coffee paste to the remaining ice cream and churn for an additional five minutes.
Remove the pans from the freezer. Spoon the coffee ice cream on. Gently swirl the two ice cream flavors together. Take a butter knife and make a zigzag line down the center. This helps swirl in the caramel. Pour the caramel sauce into the crevasse. Gently swirl a little more. Put the pans back in the freezer until firm.
Caramel Sauce Ingredients:
Ice Cream Base Ingredients:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup Trim Healthy Mama Gentle Sweet or my sweetener blend
- 3 egg yolks ***
- 1 tbsp vegetable glycerin
Coffee Paste Ingredients:
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 1/2 - 1 tbsp water
- First, you will be making the caramel. Combine 1/4 cup cream, 3 tbsp butter, and sweetener and cook over medium low heat. Stir frequently until bubbly, thickened, and lightly browned. Remove from the heat and add the salt, instant coffee, remaining 1 tbsp butter, and remaining 2 tbsp cream. Stir until smooth. Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
- Next, put the ingredients for the ice cream base in a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into an ice cream machine and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Meanwhile, mix the 1 tbsp instant coffee with 1/2 tbsp water until a paste forms. You can add 1/2 tbsp more water if necessary.
- When the ice cream looks done spoon half of it into the pan you will freeze it in. I used two loaf pans. Put in the freezer. Add the coffee paste to the remaining ice cream and churn for an additional five minutes.
- Remove the pans from the freezer. Spoon the coffee ice on. Gently swirl the two ice cream flavors together. Take a butter knife and make a zigzag line down the center. This helps swirl in the caramel. Pour the caramel sauce into the crevasse. Gently swirl a little more. Put the pans back in the freezer until firm.
Originally Published on August 26, 2016. Revised and Republished on May 15, 2018.
FREE Mug Cake Cheat Sheet!
Six delicious low carb mug cake recipes on one printable page to keep on the fridge!