This Keto Coconut Shrimp has incredible flavor. The outside of the air fryer coconut shrimp is crispy and cooked to perfection, while the inside is filled with juicy shrimp. It’s seasoned beautifully and makes a lovely appetizer or main entree. In addition to being low carb keto, it’s also grain-free, and gluten-free.
I will admit that I am a huge lover of shrimp. It doesn’t matter how you make it; there is a great chance that I am probably going to fall in love with it. This easy coconut shrimp is outstanding. Cooking it in the air fryer gives it the best texture ever, and it’s so much healthier than frying it in oil.
We like to have keto coconut shrimp for special occasions and events because it just seems fancy! Don’t worry, though; it’s not so fancy that your kids won’t eat it. My own kids love this low carb coconut shrimp recipe and always wish there was more.
If you haven’t bought an air fryer yet, you should really jump on the bandwagon. Once you taste the food you can make in it and bite into that incredible crunch; you will be hooked. It is one of the best small kitchen appliances when on keto diet.
How To Make Keto Coconut Shrimp
Making this gluten free coconut shrimp keto friendly in the air fryer couldn’t be any easier. I am sure you are going to be so glad you tried it, and it will quickly become a new favorite method for preparing shrimp.
First Step: Turn your air fryer onto 350 degrees F.
Second Step: Mix together the egg and heavy cream in a shallow bowl using a whisk.
Third Step: Combine the pork rinds, unsweetened shredded coconut flakes, paprika, garlic powder, pepper, and salt in a separate bowl. Make sure all the ingredients are well combined. This breading is the key to great keto coconut shrimp!
Expert Tip: if it seems like the breading isn't sticking to the shrimp you can coat the shrimp in coconut flour before dipping in the egg mixture,
Fourth Step: Take the shrimp by the tail and dip it into the egg mixture. Then dip it into the pork rind mixture. Repeat until all the shrimp have been coated.
Fifth Step: Bake the keto coconut shrimp in your air fryer in a single layer. Cook for 10-15 minutes. The coconut shrimp will be golden brown and crispy when done.
What Sauce Can I use on Keto Coconut Shrimp?
Sweet Dipping Sauce: If you want a sweet keto friendly coconut shrimp dipping sauce I recommend trying my sugar-free maple mustard sauce.
Spicy Dipping Sauce: Looking for more of a spicy sauce? How about a sweet chili dipping sauce? If that sounds good this sweet chili sauce will be a better choice.
Do I Have To Leave The Tails On The Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp?
It’s much easier to bread and eat the shrimp if you leave the tails on, but it’s not required. You can opt to remove them if you want to, it’s entirely up to you. We leave the tails on because when I am adding the egg mixture and the pork rind mixture, my hands don’t get near as dirty. Plus, you can simply pick them up and eat them if you want.
When serving little kids, it’s not a bad idea to remove the tails from the keto coconut shrimp, so they don’t accidentally eat them, but it’s your call.
Tips For Using An Air Fryer
If you haven’t started making food in an air fryer yet, there are a few things you should know. It’s a fantastic tool for creating easy keto recipes, but I have learned a few things through trial and error that I wanted to share.
- Always read through the manufacturer’s guide before starting. I know it’s tempting to skip reading it and jump right into cooking. However, there are many tips and tricks that will pertain to your particular model, so it’s worth reading.
- Work in batches when making lots of food. It’s important to not overfill the air fryer, or the air can’t circulate properly to cook your food. This can result in some food being raw while other portions being overdone. Save yourself that headache by not overfilling it.
- Don’t use too much oil. You can simply spray the basket with non-stick spray as well as the top of your food too. It’s not the same as a deep fat fryer, so there is no need for lots of oil. I like to use coconut oil spray for this recipe.
- Don’t skip preheating the air fryer. It’s essential to make sure it’s heated adequately before adding the keto coconut shrimp. If you don’t, you may end up with tough or weird textures because it didn’t cook evenly.
Looking for more delicious keto shrimp recipes? Check out these low carb recipes:
Feeling more like chicken? Try my Air Fryer Whole Chicken recipe!
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees if required.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together 1 egg and 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the pork rind crumbs, unsweetened coconut flakes, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Holding the tail, dip each shrimp first into the egg mixture, and then coat in the pork rind crumb and coconut mixture.
- Place the shrimp in a single layer in your air fryer, and cook for 10-15 minutes until browned, crispy, and cooked through.