Skip the oil and the mess and whip up these fried pickles that are baked in your oven or air fried in your air fryer! You will get that same crunchy batter texture like at your favorite restaurant made in the comfort of your own home. Best of all this is a low carb fried pickles recipe!
Fried Pickles Recipe Baked or Air Fryer with Sauce
Baked fried pickles are a favorite in our household. No grease and best of all no empty carbs. A nice low carb oven fried pickle recipe that will melt in your mouth. Pair with your favorite dipping sauce or skip the sauce and eat as is! These fried pickles are a dish you will make over and over again.
What Are Baked Fried Pickles
Baked fried pickles are like they sound. They are baked in the oven but offer that fried pickles texture that you know and love so much. You have characteristics of a fried pickle from the crunchy coating on the pickles. So it gives you a fried texture without needing to drop it in a pan of oil!
Low Carb Fried Pickles
I wanted a low carb fried pickle so I reached for coconut flour and pork rinds that are crunched up. This help in that crunchy texture while keeping it low in carbs.
Tips for Making Fried Pickles
- Dry Pickles | Make sure you pat dry your pickles. If your pickles are really wet, they will not hold the breading you are going to roll them in. I lay out a paper towel and then place the pickles to allow them to dry up a bit from all the juice.
- Pork Rinds | Toss in a food processor, blender, or use a sealable bag to break up your pork rinds into a breading material. You want it to be fine enough it coats as bread crumbs would. I take a rolling pin and rolled my pork rinds in a bag and it worked just as good as the blender or food processor option.
- Coconut Flour | I used coconut flour for the low carb take. If you don’t care if they are lower carb feel free to reach for all-purpose white flour. Or if you want an alternative to go for almond flour instead!
Air Fryer Fried Pickles
To make these in an Air Fryer just make sure to not overlap the pickles. If the pickles touch in spots, they will not crisp up when they cook. Turn your Air Fryer to 400 degrees for around 7 minutes or until golden brown and cooked thoroughly.
Make sure to try these air fryer Garlic Parmesan Wings too!
Oven Fried Pickles
You can cook your pickles at 400 degrees for around 7 minutes as well in the oven. I just make sure the breading of the pickles is done and it looks golden brown.
Dipping Sauce for Fried Pickles
Need a little dipping help when it comes what to pair with your air fryer pickles? You can pick any sauce that fits your fancy! Here are a few of our favorites.
As you can see anything goes. I also love to eat this plain, I have no shame! I love fried pickles, they are highly addictive little spears!
Serving Fried Pickles
Once you pull these fried pickles from your Air Fryer or oven you will want to serve them up. The coating on the pickles will stay crispy for 30 minutes to an hour after cooking, and then slowly begin to become soggy. While the soggy texture is okay for some, you will lose some of that “fried” texture you are hoping for.
If you do not eat them all you can refrigerate any leftovers. But again, it will be a soggier texture and they won’t be as crispy. You can place them in the oven to reheat them to add some crunch back into them.
This fried pickles recipe is a breeze to make with minimal prep, quick cook time, and few ingredients required. Make these up this week for a mid-week treat or save back for an appetizer while watching your favorite game on tv or entertaining.
More low carb fried snacks:
Check out these other keto and low carb appetizers:
- 12 pickle spears
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 2.5 ounce package pork rinds
- 2 large eggs
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1/2 tablespoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Slice spears in half the long way, and dry slightly with tea cloth or paper towel.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs.
- In a separate bowl add coconut flour.
- Using a food processor or your hands, process/smash pork rinds until fine crumbs.
- Add pork rind crumbs to a third bowl.
- Cover pickles in flour, dredge in egg, then into pork rinds.
Air Fryer Instructions:
- Lay pickles into air fryer basket. Cook for 7 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add vinegar, dill, garlic powder, and sour cream to a mixing bowl. Whisk until combined.