If you like French onion soup you will love my French Onion Tartlets. With caramelized onions, toasted cheese, and a golden dough shell they are the perfect appetizer for entertaining.
Low Carb, Keto, Gluten Free, Grain-Free, THM S
If you are anything like me you think the best part of weddings and formal events is the cocktail hour. And the best part of the cocktail hour is the passed hors-d’oeuvres. I like to check the room to see where the servers are emerging from the kitchen and then stand in a prime location to have my pick of the goodies.
My husband goes for anything with seafood or red meat, especially lamb chops. My favorites are coconut shrimp and chicken skewers.
When we entertain at home I often cave in and purchase some of those little tiny frozen appetizers. They aren’t the healthiest option but they are easy. I’m really trying to come up with some of my own make-ahead little hot apps to serve instead. That way I don’t have to just look longingly at the puff pastry wrapped savories coming out of my oven.
Fat Head Pastry
Yup, these cute little onion tartlets use the regular ole’ fathead mozzarella dough. It works just as well for fancy low carb appetizers as it does for low carb pizza.
How to Caramelize Onions
It is easy to caramelize onions but does take some time.
Heat a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the olive oil and butter. Add the onions. Cook over medium-low, stirring occasionally until they are caramelized. To get onions really nice and truly caramelized it takes about an hour. Low and slow is the way to go with onions. This is mostly hands-off time, just make sure to stir them every 10 minutes.
When I know I’m going to be using a lot of caramelized onions I’ll make one big batch and keep it in the fridge. I just use them as needed. They keep well in the fridge for up to a week.
To make my onion tartlets you press fat head pastry dough into mini muffin tins and then fill them with caramelized onions mixed with Finlandia Black Garlic Creamy Gourmet Cheese. If you don’t have Finlandia products in your local supermarket I give tips in the recipe card for a substitution. Top with a little more cheese, bake and serve. Easy!
I hope you enjoy these Onion Tartlets!
Want more low carb appetizers? Try these!
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 medium onions thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 7 oz Finlandia Black Garlic Creamy Gourmet Cheese ***
- 4 slices Havarti Cheese
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the olive oil and butter. Add the onions. Cook over medium-low, stirring occasionally until they are caramelized. To get them really nice and truly caramelized it takes about an hour. Low and slow is the way to go with onions. This is mostly hands-off time, just make sure to stir them every 10 minutes.
- You can caramelize the onions the day before making the tarts. Just pop them in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350. Put the mozzarella and cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave one minute. Stir. Microwave 30 seconds. Stir. At this point all the cheese should be melted. Microwave 30 more seconds until uniform and gloopy (it should look like cheese fondue at this point). Add the rest of the dough ingredients and the cheese to a food processor. Mix using the dough blade until a uniform color. If you do not have a food processor you can mix in a medium bowl with a wooden spoon but you may need to dump it onto wax paper and knead it by hand to thoroughly incorporate the ingredients.
- Grease a 24 hole mini muffin tin. Divide the dough between the holes of the tin. Using wet fingers press it down into the bottom and up the sides of each hole. If your fingers aren't wet it will stick to your fingers. I keep a small bowl of water next to me while I work. I dip my hands, press two out, dip again, and repeat.
- Once the onions are a golden brown turn off the heat and stir in the Finlandia Black Garlic Creamy Gourmet Cheese.
- Bake the tart shells for 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and divide the onion mixture between them. Top each with 1/6 of a slice of Havarti. Bake for 25 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and the crust is golden.
Originally Published 11/18/16. Revised and Republished 10/26/18.
Get the Keto
Over 75 delicious recipes with photos
for only $14.99!