My kids love any kind of food on a kabob stick and this Baked Meatball Sub on a Stick Recipe got a chorus of, “Mom, those look so cool.” It is always great when I find a food that is healthy for my kids but is still fun to eat.
Baked Meatball Sub on a Stick – Low Carb, Keto, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, THM S
I saw a pin for Meatball Sub on a Stick from Cookies and Cups a few months ago and saved it into my recipe idea folder. That recipe uses canned breadstick dough and bread crumbs in the meatballs so I tweaked it to be grain free and low carb. My version uses a mozzarella based fathead dough. It worked great!
These Baked Meatball Sub on a Stick are such a fun appetizer or family dinner. These don’t take much time to prep for the wow factor. I’m hoping to make a batch for our next party.
It took a little trial and error to discover the best way to weave the dough onto the sticks. Mozzarella dough is more fragile than a wheat and yeast dough. So, what I ended up doing was putting the meatballs on the stick, spreading them out, laying that on a parchment lined baking sheet and then weaving the dough back and forth with the stick lying down. You just have to press it in between the meatballs and around the skewer so it doesn’t fall off.
Baked Meatball Sub on a Stick
1 lb ground meat (I used pork but turkey, beef, or a combination would work too)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup of my Local Blend Baking Mix (equal parts almond, coconut, flax)
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp each basil, dried minced garlic, dried minced onion
8 oz shredded mozzarella
2 oz cream cheese
1 egg (the dough mixes easier if it is room temperature)
1/3 cup each almond flour, coconut flour and ground golden flax (these make up my local blend baking mix)
- Soak 8 wooden kabob sticks in water while you prepare the meatballs and dough. Preheat the oven to 400.
- Combine all the ingredients for the meatballs and mix until well combined. Form 24 small meatballs.
- Put mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave one minute. Stir. Microwave 30 seconds. Stir. At this point, all the cheese should be melted. Microwave 30 more seconds until uniform and gloopy (it should look like cheese fondue at this point if it doesn’t keep microwaving in 30-second increments). Mix in the egg and baking mix. You will need to dump it onto wax paper and knead it by hand to thoroughly incorporate the ingredients or you can do this in a food processor with the dough blade.
- On a piece of parchment paper press out the dough into an 8 x 8 square. It helps to use wet hands. Use a pizza cutter to cut 8 strips.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Thread three meatballs on a kabob stick. Lay it on the baking sheet. Take one strip of dough and press it back and forth between the meatballs like in the photos. Press it around the stick at the top and bottom. Repeat with remaining dough and meatballs to make 8 kabobs.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the dough is golden brown and the meatballs are cooked through (160 degrees on a meat thermometer). Serve with tomato sauce.
Get the Keto
Over 75 delicious recipes with photos
for only $14.99!