Did you know that with one simple trick you can stuff your own sausage? In just five minutes I stuffed Italian sausage with mozzarella cheese and popped it into the oven to bake for dinner. This Stuffed Sausage Recipe is perfect for any night of the week.
Low Carb, Keto, THM S, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free
I am the queen of fast dinners. And by that, I don’t mean I make the most delicious fast dinners all the time (although some are pretty darn good) what I mean is that most nights of the weeks 5 pm rolls around and I haven’t even thought about dinner yet. But somehow I get it on the table by 6 anyway!
During the school year, the afternoons are packed full of homework, emptying lunch boxes, washing school uniforms (because someone always falls into the mud or spills their lunch) and other mom tasks. And then in the summertime just seems to fly by. Easy dinners like this stuffed sausage are always a necessity no matter the month.
I have a few tips for last minute dinners that are still real food (because we all know frozen pizza is quick and easy – and we are not above that in my house either).
1. Always have fresh or thawed meat in the fridge. And/or meat that cooks quickly from frozen like individually frozen chicken tenders.
2. Always have steam bags of frozen veggies and/or washed and ready fresh vegetables and salad greens.
3. Keep a stocked pantry with a variety of spice blends.
4. Have a nice assortment of condiments in the fridge.
With those items, you can put dinner together in a flash.
How to Make Stuffed Sausage
So, my trick to stuffing sausage is simple. Use kitchen shears to split open the casing along one side. Do not remove the casing. Simple open the sausage down the middle, stuff in the cheese stick, and then reform the sausage around the cheese stick.
Can I stuff the sausage with other ingredients?
You can use this same method and add any ingredient you like to your sausage. I want to try adding some lightly sauteed peppers and onions to the sausage. I know you can buy sausage at the grocery store with peppers and onions added in but I’m positive they will taste so much better with fresh.
What sauce should I use for Stuffed Sausage
I use any no sugar added marinara.
Before, above. After, below. The cheese gooed out a little bit but for the most part, it stayed inside each stuffed sausage link.
A few of our favorite quick low carb meals are:
Chicken tenders with a creamy parmesan sauce with broccoli.
Turkey burgers on top of salad.
Tacos with all the fixings. (This is even easier if you make a big batch of taco meat and freeze some).
And this stuffed sausage.
For a whole list of dinners with less than 5 ingredients check out my post on Easy Keto Meals with 5 Ingredients or Less! This has over 25 Low Carb Entrees.
- 5 Italian sausage links about 1.5-2 pounds
- 5 mozzarella cheese sticks
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Use kitchen scissors to cut a sausage down the side. Do not remove the casing. Put a mozzarella stick inside the sausage and press it back into its shape. Put it casing side down in an 8 x 10-inch baking pan. Repeat with the remaining sausage.
- Pour the marinara sauce over the sausage.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the sausage is 160 when checked with a meat thermometer.