Creamy and delicious this easy gluten free Keto Lemon Curd is the dessert you’ve been craving. It’s sweet, tangy, and each tastes leaves you wanting more. Use it as a topping to your favorite treats or enjoy a tasty spoonful! This sugar free lemon curd recipe has just 5 ingredients and is also low carb, sugar-free, grain-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
Lemon curd is light, refreshing, and delicious. I have found that you can drizzle it over a stack of pancakes, waffles, or crepes, like my Keto Crepes, or use it inside of Mini Tartlets. Honestly, there is no wrong way to enjoy this zesty sugar free lemon curd.
I can’t wait for you to taste it because it’s versatile and can be used in many ways. I know that you are going to love this homemade low carb lemon curd. Be sure to let us know your favorite way to serve it too!
What Is Lemon Curd?
Lemon curd is a sweet dessert topping or filling that has been cooked gently using egg yolks to thicken it and fresh lemons to give you a tart flavor. Traditional recipes are packed with carbs and tons of sugar. I have created an amazing low carb lemon curd, so you don’t have to worry about carbs or sugar!
How To Make Keto Lemon Curd
Once you try your hand at making a homemade citrus curd, you will be so glad you did. If you’ve never made any kind of fruit curd before, don't worry, I promise it’s easy enough for beginners!
First Step: Melt the butter and sweetener in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Continue to cook until it has thickened some. Remove from the heat for 5 minutes.
Expert Tip: Don't leave the butter unattended. When developing this recipe I let that happen and while browned butter is delicious it ruins the beautiful yellow of the lemon curd.
Second Step: Slowly whisk in the eggs, only adding one at a time. Return to the heat. Keep cooking until it has thickened.
Third Step: Pour in the lemon juice and whisk until it’s creamy and smooth. Pour in the cream and continue to whisk.
Fourth Step: Next, you will need to pour the curd through a fine-mesh strainer. There may be bits of scrambled egg yolk that needs to be removed.
Expert Tip: For a more intense lemon flavor stir in a little lemon zest after straining the curd.
Fifth Step: Let the keto lemon curd cool to room temperature and refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours before serving. Right after making it is more the consistency of a sauce, like in my photos with the berries. After chilling, it gets thick like a jam, as shown on the mini-tarts.
Can I Use Lemon Curd Right Away?
The sugar free lemon curd is going to be thin when it first comes off the stove. It is best to let it cool, then refrigerate. This is an important step, so it can properly thicken and give you the best results! If you want to be able to drizzle it you can use it right away. Or simply warm it a bit right before serving.
How Do I Serve Keto Lemon Curd?
There are no wrong answers when it comes to enjoying this freshly made lemon curd. Here are a few ideas to inspire you on how to enjoy it!
- Pancakes - it is delicious with these Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- Waffles - try drizzle some lemon curd on my Low Carb Waffles
- Pies & Tarts - this is the main component of my Keto Lemon Tart and made with lime for Mini Lime Tartlets
- Ice Cream - try some on top of Keto Strawberry Ice Cream
- Cheesecake - for an extra burst of lemon use this to top my Lemon Ricotta Pie or Keto Blueberry Cheesecake
- Dutch Baby - this is fantastic on top of my huge baked pancake, aka a Keto Dutch Baby
- Panna Cotta - use this on top of my Keto Panna Cotta for the best dessert ever.
In addition to these ideas, lemon curd goes well with strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and other fruits.
Can I Use Another Type of Citrus?
Yes, you can make this sugar free lemon curd with lime, orange, grapefruit, or even a tart berry such as raspberries or blackberries. The nutrition facts will change slightly based on the fruit you choose.
Do I Have to Add Heavy Cream?
Traditional lemon curd does not have cream in it. I really enjoy the richness of adding a small amount to my lemon or lime curd. If you prefer you can leave it out.
How Long Will Keto Lemon Curd Last?
As long as you keep the lemon curd in an airtight container, it will last in the refrigerator for up to one week. It’s important not to leave the low carb keto lemon curd at room temperature, or it will go bad quickly. When it’s refrigerated, keep an eye on it and if you open it and notice it has a strange texture or has an odor, then it has probably started to go bad and should be discarded.
Can You Freeze Sugar Free Lemon Curd?
Yes, after you allow the lemon curd time to cool down, you can pour it into a freezer-safe container. A mason jar with a lid, plastic container, or even a glass container will all work well. Then freeze it, and it will store great. Then when you are ready to serve, simply thaw in the refrigerator until it’s defrosted, then enjoy!
- 10 tbsp butter
- ¾ cup Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 6 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 1.5 oz heavy cream
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat melt the butter and sweetener. Cook until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the egg yolks one at a time. Return to the stove and cook over medium-low heat until thick.
- Add the lemon juice and whisk until smooth. Add the cream and whisk again. Strain through a fine mesh strainer in case there are any bits of scrambled yolk.
- Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours to set before serving.
More Easy Keto Recipes for your Lemon Cravings
- Keto Lemon Cupcakes with Raspberry Frosting
- Keto Lemon Pound Cake
- Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Crumb Bars
- Lemon Drizzle Cake