This Italian Sausage Baked Chicken only takes 35 minutes! For a weeknight dinner with only 5 ingredients, it is impressive.
Italian Sausage Baked Chicken – Low Carb, Keto, Gluten-Free
This recipe was born one night when it was 5:30 and I had no idea what I was going to make for dinner. I turned on the oven and started pan searing chicken. And then I just winged it. We had already had chicken a few nights that week so I needed to dress it up a bit. I decided to smother it with sausage, tomato sauce, and provolone cheese. I got this on the table from start to finish in 35 minutes! I even impressed myself.
My husband is a meat guy. Most nights I have to remind him to serve himself some of the vegetables too. He loved this easy Italian chicken dinner. He is also Italian so anything with tomato sauce or sausage normally gets a big thumbs up. If it has both sauce and sausage it gets two thumbs up.
I served this with roasted asparagus. I just trim it, drizzle it with a little olive oil and sea salt, and put in a preheated 400-degree oven on a cookie sheet until tender.
This Italian Sausage Baked Chicken only takes 35 minutes! For a weeknight dinner with only 5 ingredients, it is impressive. Low Carb, Keto, THM S, Gluten-Free.
- 4-5 chicken breasts cut in half if they are thick
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 lb sausage casings removed
- 1 cup marinara sauce no sugar added
- 8 oz sliced provolone cheese or sub mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 400. Sprinkle the chicken with the garlic salt. Spray a large frying pan with cooking spray. Brown the chicken over medium high heat. (I did it in two batches). Transfer to a baking dish and put in the oven. Bake for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in the same frying pan cook the sausage until golden. Break it up into small pieces using a potato masher or spatula.
- Remove the par-cooked chicken from the oven and top with the tomato sauce and then the sausage crumbles. Bake for 10 minutes. Top with the slices of cheese. Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes until the chicken is 160 on a meat thermometer.