Having a rich, decadent chocolate chaffle for breakfast, dessert, or just a snack fills your chocolate craving in minutes. They are incredible and give you that warm comfort food feeling on a good or bad day. My keto chaffle recipe just happens to also be gluten-free, low carb, trim healthy mama friendly, and grain-free.
I've resisted the chaffle phase until now. I have several waffle recipes that can be classified as chaffles because they contain some form of cheese (like my Cinnamon Roll Waffles) but I hadn't officially jumped on the chaffle bandwagon until I made up this chocolate version.
If you haven’t been introduced to chaffles yet, you are going to be so glad when you finally try them. I do tend to crave chocolate sometimes, but I want to continue to eat low carb. So, I had seen a few recipes for chaffles and knew that I could develop a chocolate chaffle recipe that meets my needs. These chocolate chaffles are perfection, and even the kids are happy to munch on them.
What Is A Chaffle?
You may be wondering what exactly a chaffle is, so I wanted to explain it to you. Chaffles are basically waffles that the main ingredient is cheese. They can be made to be sweet, but they are also intended to be savory too. My recipe for chocolate chaffles is sweet and chocolatey. They are shaped like waffles and are a fabulous treat or meal idea that is low carb and flavorful too. Eating chaffles is a great way to add some healthy fats to your diet without all the carbs.
Can You Taste The Cheese?
No, you definitely can't taste the cheese in a keto chaffle recipe! This uses mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese, and cream cheese but you would never know. Just like a sweet recipe using mozzarella dough you can't taste the cheese in a chocolate chaffle at all.
How To Make Chocolate Chaffles
If you can make waffles, then you can make chaffles. Even if you had never made waffles before, I promise you can easily make a chocolate chaffle with very few issues. This keto chaffle recipe is very simple to prepare.
First Step: Warm up the waffle iron. While the waffle iron is heating, add the eggs, cottage cheese, cream cheese, vanilla, and sweetener to a blender. Then top with shredded mozzarella cheese, almond flour, cocoa, and baking powder. Blend until all the ingredients combine and are smooth. You may need to scrape the sides of the blender. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Expert Tip: I just stirred them right into the batter in the blender with a spoon. And then I scooped the chocolate chaffle batter from the blender to the waffle iron. No need to dirty a bowl!
Second Step: Add grease to the mini waffle iron. Then pour around three tablespoons of the chocolate chaffle batter to the waffle iron. Cook until the chaffles are a deep brown color. Keep in mind that the light on your waffle iron may turn on before they are actually done cooking, so simply ignore it until they have reached a deep brown. Remove the chaffle from the waffle iron and repeat process until all the batter has been used.
Does a Chocolate Chaffle Taste Eggy?
While there are many keto chaffle recipes that do have a strong egg flavor, these chocolate chaffles do not. They are sweet, and while eggs are an important ingredient, they don’t stand out due to the other ingredients. If you are looking for a savory keto chaffle recipe, then you are more likely to notice the flavor of the eggs.
Can I Still Make Chaffles Without A Waffle Iron?
Yes, technically, you can make this keto chaffle recipe without a waffle iron. To do so, use a skillet or griddle and add some grease. You will need to heat it up and cook them just like you would pancakes. It helps to make them small so they don't break when flipping. Use a large spatula to flip them, and you will be good to go.
Can You Make Chocolate Chaffles Ahead Of Time?
Yes, you can make these chocolate chaffles ahead of time. For best results, follow the directions to prepare them. Then let them set out and cool down all the way. Once cooled, put them into a storage container that is airtight. Either refrigerate them up to 5 days or freeze them for up to 2 months. When freezing, be sure to flash freeze first, so they don’t stick together.
Chocolate Chaffle Toppings
Sometimes I eat these plain. Just warm right from the waffle maker with my hands. But, other times I want a pretty stack on a plate covered with toppings!
- Berries - strawberries and raspberries are a nice pop of color and delicious paired with chocolate!
- Chocolate Syrup - my favorite store-bought sugar-free syrup is this one.
- Whipped Cream - fresh is best. Just whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form and add a little powdered sweetener and vanilla. Add a dollop on your chocolate chaffle.
- Ice Cream - who can resist a scoop of ice cream on top of a warm waffle? Not me! Try these with my keto vanilla ice cream or keto chocolate ice cream. Or go crazy and add some keto coffee ice cream or peanut butter ice cream!
- Shaved Chocolate - shaved chocolate always looks fancy and it is as easy as running a vegetable peeler along the side of a chocolate bar.
- Chocolate Chips - there may be a few chocolate chips inside of these but it never hurts to throw some more on top!
Want to try a savory chaffle? Check out this Keto French Dip Chaffle!
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp sugar-free chocolate chips
- Preheat waffle iron. Add all the wet ingredients to a blender. Top with the dry ingredients (except the chocolate chips). Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Grease the waffle iron. Pour about 3 tablespoons of batter onto the waffle iron.
- Cook until deep brown. Your waffle iron’s ready light may turn on before this happens. Just ignore it. Gently loosen and remove the waffle. Repeat with the remaining batter.
More Tasty Dishes You Are Going To Want To Try
Each of these keto waffle recipes is perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even a yummy snack.
- Vanilla Waffles with Almond Flour
- Cinnamon Roll Waffle For One
- Coconut Waffles with Strawberries
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Waffles