If you need a new appetizer in your repertoire my Hot Onion Dip should be it. With the sweetness of sauteed onions and the smokiness of smoked paprika, it is unique and delicious.
Snacking on cheese is an old standby in our home. At least 2-3 nights a week my husband slices up some cheddar and salami for himself and the kids to snack on while I cook. My kids enjoy it with crackers but I normally just eat a few slices plain although I do love cheddar cheese paired with a thin slice of a crispy apple.
If you've been around my blog in the past you will see cheese play a big part in a lot of recipes. I love the richness and flavor of cheesy casseroles and other main dishes. In the summer we tend to pack lunch for the pool a few days a week. Slices or cubes of cheese and deli meat are an easy and quick gluten-free way to bring along a protein.
One of my favorite simple summer pairings is a cube of cheddar topped with a cherry tomato and a green olive. You can just stick a toothpick through all three to make a one-bite appetizer.
How to Make Hot Onion Dip
First Step: Saute onions. Over the years I've realized that slow is the way to go for a nice caramelization on onions. Turn the heat up too much and they brown instead of caramelizing. You want the natural sugars in the onions to cook slowly for the best result.
Second Step: Mix together the rest of the ingredients. Fold in the cooked onions.
Third Step: Spread in a pie plate.
Fourth Step: Top with more shredded cheddar cheese. Bake until hot, bubbly, and golden.
What to Serve with Hot Onion Dip
This dip is so rich and creamy it pairs well with raw vegetables. I like it with broccoli, peppers, cauliflower, cucumbers, or thinly sliced raw zucchini.
Low carb crackers or tortilla chips are also great options.
Like what you see? Follow me on Facebook! Love this recipe? Leave a comment & 5-star rating right here! Make sure you don’t miss new recipes by getting email updates!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions peeled, halved, and sliced
- 8 oz extra-sharp white cheddar shredded, divided
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayo
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until golden and softened.
- Mix together half of the cheddar cheese with the cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, paprika, and garlic powder until well combined. Stir in the cooked onions. Spread in a medium baking dish. Top with the reserved cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the topping is golden and the edges are bubbling. Serve with fresh veggies.
Leave a Reply