This Keto Caesar Salad with Bacon has a delicious homemade dressing with just four ingredients. It is the perfect side dish or an easy main course when topped with chicken. My 9-year-old makes this keto Caesar salad dressing for dinner for us at least once a week without any help!
An easy Caesar salad is one of our go-to easy sides for dinner for those of us on a keto diet or not. Especially since my toddler now looooves it. Yes, you read that correctly. I have a toddler whose favorite food is Caesar salad. No matter what else is on the table if she sees Caesar salad she begs for it and then eats two plates full.
We eat this Keto Caesar Salad in the summer a lot topped with grilled chicken. In the winter I just saute or bake the chicken breasts in a pyrex dish covered with aluminum foil. When I have bacon crumbles I always add them. On occasion, I'll add sliced mushrooms and red onions too.
How to Make Homemade Keto Caesar Salad Dressing
It is easier to make keto salad dressing than you think. Homemade salad dressings are better than store-bought every single time because you can control all the ingredients in them. You can leave out the msg, cornstarch, maltodextrin, soybean oil, preservatives, and make them sugar free and gluten free with fresh whole ingredients.
My homemade Caesar dressing recipe has only 4 ingredients and takes less than 5 minutes but I get compliments on it every single time I make it.
- Sour Cream or Plain Greek Yogurt
- Garlic Powder (preferably Roasted Garlic Powder)
- Parmesan Cheese
plus a little Salt & Pepper
A lot of readers comment that this isn't traditional Caesar salad dressing because it doesn't have anchovies, lemon juice, etc. but really... who cares? It's delicious with just these four simple ingredients and my kids love it. I doubt that would happen with a dressing chock full of anchovy paste.
How to Make Keto Caesar Salad
The salad dressing recipe you use is really the trick to a good low carb chicken Caesar salad. Anytime we go to a restaurant I'm shocked at how much they can charge for lettuce, dressing, and a few croutons. It is so easy to make keto caesar dressing and salad at home I've stopped even considering ordering it when out.
All you really need is romaine lettuce (washed and cut into bite-size pieces), a delicious dressing, and shredded Parmesan cheese. You can dress up your salad with more keto food options but it's not necessary.
Caesar Salad Topping Ideas
Bacon Crumbles - I normally just buy the 100% bacon crumbles in the package
Cooked Chicken - I make extra chicken so we'll have it for salads for lunch frequently
Hard Boiled Eggs - this is a great way to boost the protein if you don't want to add meat
Sliced Mushrooms - one of my favorite additions
Grape Tomatoes - these add a hint of natural sweetness to the salad
Shrimp - I prefer to take the tails off before serving
How to Make Chicken for Caesar Salad
You don't have to do anything special to the chicken. Sometimes I'll quickly pan saute a chicken breast in some olive oil and garlic just so we can slice it for this caesar salad recipe.
We also use leftover grilled chicken on our caesar salads a lot. Or even rotisserie chicken. If you need a recipe for grilled chicken make sure to try my lemon garlic grilled chicken.
What to Serve with Keto Caesar Salad
More Keto Salad Recipes
- ½ cup mayo
- ½ cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup grated or shredded Parmesan cheese I normally use the shelf stable powder variety
- 1 teaspoon roasted garlic powder or regular garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt add another ¼ teaspoon if it needs it, the saltiness of parmesan cheese can vary
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Romaine lettuce, washed and cut into bite-size pieces
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Bacon crumbles (optional)
- Cooked Chicken, cubed (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients. If you don't need all the dressing immediately you can mix in a smaller bowl and then store in the fridge for about a week.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a large bowl if you are making a large salad. This makes enough dressing for a large bowl of salad using two romaine hearts or one large head of romaine. You can add the lettuce right to the mixing bowl and toss until it is covered with the dressing. Then add the chicken and fold that in gently. Finally, sprinkle the bacon and extra cheese on top.
Originally published March 23, 2016. Revised and republished July 29, 2019.